Friday, March 21, 2014

My public school fears washed away by blessings...



Skylar started a special needs daycare called Francis Allen or The Allen School when she was 6 weeks old. Thankfully a wonderful woman, that I’ve known for as long as I can remember, worked there and was able to really help us with information. We absolutely loved it there. I was constant communication with the teachers and the therapists. They had a real love for Skylar. As Skylar got older, I was so worried about public school. I toured some private schools for children with special needs and their first question was always can Skylar walk, talk, sit, stand, and is she potty trained. When I would say no they would try to politely tell me that she can’t come to their school. I was stuck with going to a private school and I didn’t like the idea. I didn’t think that a child liked Skylar belonged in a public school. I feared how they would care for her and if she would get enough attention. I had the option of going to big Bryant or Davis Elementary. I didn’t like the idea of going to Bryant. The school was huge and there were too many kids. It just made me fear public school for Skylar even more. I sat in a meeting with the therapists that Skylar would be seeing and I brought my whole team with me. I had all of Skylar’s therapists with me, administrators, and teachers. I was thankful to have them with me because I was not happy about the process. Overall it was a good meeting. I wasn’t not happy when I was told Skylar would be getting less than half of her therapy. Everything was so great at The Allen School why do we have to leave? I kept hoping that they would raise the age limit.
We attended a 25th Anniversary for Skylar’s school last night and they were recognizing the teachers at the school and it had me thinking about her time there. It has been a process and every year something is changing. Skylar’s kindergarten year was a hard year. Skylar was in an accident in her wheelchair that resulted in a brain bleed and required a shunt to be placed. She went through 5 shunt surgeries in a year and a half. We were in and out of the hospital and it was a very stressful year. Things have progressed since that year with Skylar being placed on Palliative care and now Hospice care. She’s only in second grade but it feels like I have known the people at Davis for much longer because of everything that we’ve gone through. They are wonderful to Skylar and me. I was worried about Skylar not getting enough attention and it’s almost comical because she gets so much love there. One of the things that I loved and is not long after Skylar had started school I would walk the halls and everyone who say hi to me because I’m Skylar’s mom or they would all talk to Skylar when we would come into the school. The small school atmosphere was incredible. It was such a warm feeling to have the staff and the kids know Skylar. They take the time to know all of the children and it’s very special.
Skylar would not be where she is now without the people at Davis Elementary. The nurse at the school, Barbie has been a godsend to us as well as her teachers. They keep me informed of everything and they truly love and care about Skylar. I know that if she’s not with me that she is in the best hands. When they requested to talk to hospice about Skylar I was a little surprised. I never thought of how others would be affected by Skylar’s progression. They are with Skylar every day and they see her on most of her worst days and it would take a lot out of on anyone. Skylar is truly loved by that school and she will be missed I have no doubt. I am thankful for them and last night made me want to recognize them for what they have done for us. God knew what he was doing when we put us there. So I want to thank them for everything that they do and continue to do to take for Skylar. I’m not sure that they knew that they were taking on such a challenge when she started there. She keeps them on their toes and keeps them guessing from one day to the next. I wake up every day praying that today is a good day but I have no worries or fears when she’s in their care. Thanks for all that you do and for taking such good care of my girl. We love you all dearly!

No comments:

Post a Comment