Sunday, May 4, 2014

Bucket List - New York City

I have always loved New York City and this past week I got to show Skylar what it was all about. There are some things that I have noticed about taking Skylar to New York City. You have two kinds of people and there is no in between. You have the people that adore Skylar. They talk to her and are so sweet and they let me know how great of a mom I am and how blessed I am OR you have the others that just stare. It's as if they have never seen a child in a wheelchair before. We've had people stop dead in their tracks just to stare. However, getting around in NYC with a wheelchair wasn't too bad. We were able to call a handicap accessible taxi everywhere we went. 

I have to admit that I am sad to be back. I had the most amazing trip with Skylar and these memories are ones that I will never forget. I was worried that she might not be able to withstand everything that I wanted her to see but it was her that was still laughing and ready for more at the end of the night. 

We started the main part of our vacation at the Yankees game. We had met a lady that I had been emailing back and forth. We showed up knowing that we'd get to go on a tour of the stadium and hopefully go to batting practice. We received so much more than I would have ever imagined. We got a personal tour of the stadium and got to meet a few Yankees players. The best part was meeting Jeter and Mark Teixeira. They were so down to earth and so sweet to Skylar. After our tour, they took us to the restaurant. They had given us passes to everything we wanted to eat the entire night along with our own covered suite. It was the an incredible night and one that I will never forget.

We spent the rest of the days seeing all the main sights in NYC. We took Skylar to the Empire State Building, the Statue of Liberty, the 911 Memorial, the main stores in Times Square, fao schwarz, museums, movies, and so many other places. The best part was that she loved every minute of it. 

The last day that we were there we got tickets to go see Aladdin on Broadway. It was AMAZING. She got the VIP treatment there as well. She loved it and so did we. It was the best Broadway show I've ever seen. 

I loved how the city embraced her. It was like being in Disney World all over again. We never waited in line. Even at restaurants when there was a 45-60 minute wait they would seat us as soon as they saw us. One day while we were walking in Times Square we passed a firehouse with a few firemen sitting outside. They immediately started talking to Skylar as we passed by and they were thrilled to be part of Skylar's 1000 hugs and smiles. They even gave her a shirt so she'd always remember their firehouse! New York loud and bright and busy and it was everything that she's ever loved. She loved the noise and the bright lights. 

I can't express how much I appreciate everyone that allowed this trip to happen. I was sad to come home and have it all end. Being able to spend everyday with Skylar this past week has been something that I don't want to let go of just yet. The best part of the trip was being there with Skylar and her laughing and enjoying every minute of it. These memories are ones that I will never forget and I am grateful to everyone who made it happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment